Sunday, March 8, 2009

Happy Birthday Amy! I love you...




On March 8, 1972 I found a new best friend, my sister, Amy. My mom and her dad really thought she was going to be a boy and had already picked out her name, Matthew. I can remember secretly praying in the corner that I would get a baby sister...someone must have heard me!

The past 37 years have been filled with so many memories. I can remember when she was little and didn't even know my name. She called me "sissy" for the first 5 years and followed me everywhere. When she started school I was in 5th grade and I was so paranoid she would show up at my class and ask for "sissy". That is when she learned my real name.

I wasn't the nicest big sister. We used to play a game called "fly guts" where we would chase each other around with the fly swatter and rub it on each other...poor Amy, she always lost. I'm sorry sis for wiping fly guts on you. I'm REALLY sorry for the other mean thing I did - you know what I'm talking about...yep, when I spit in your mouth and told you if you told mom I would beat you up. Isn't that gross? I was so mean.

As you grew into a young woman I remember the pain you suffered over your first broken heart. I would beat up Steve Whitman if I knew where he was now. I used to hear you crying and I felt so bad for you.

I remember your wild side when you became of legal age. I won't reveal too much of that on here (just in case your kids ever read this), but boy, you were one crazy chick! You lived your life to the fullest as you entered womanhood and I was worried about you and your alter ego (Rebecca).... (FYI for my followers - she wasn't a drug addict or prostitute or anything like that)

And one day you became a full-fledged woman. I am so proud of you. You are a great mom, incredible wife, and a successful career woman. It has been a great 37 years and I am so lucky to have a sister like you. I love sis, more than you could ever know. Happy Birthday!

10 comments:

Emilie said...

What a sweet post! I especially love the "fly guts" game. I have a sister who is only 16 months older than me so we were very close growing up. Her mean thing was to make her hand into a fist and hit me on the head, calling me "dingbat". Ah, memories.

Anonymous said...

It worked ...she cried...Love, Mom

Farmer*swife said...

Awww, how sweet! Happy Birthday to the Baby Sister!

Believer said...

"Sisters by chance, Friends by choice" -Author Unknown

Sisters can have mad love for each other. I have two, so I understand.

Veronica Lee said...

Happy Birthday to Amy. This is sooo sweet and thanks for the award! You are a gem!

Betty said...

Awww, how sweet was this. Happy Birthday to your sister. This was such a sweet post. :)

On The Verge said...

What a beautiful post to your sister!

Lydia

Miranda said...

This is such a sweet post! Happy birthday to your sister! :)

delaney55 said...

I love this post and it makes me wish my sister was still with us. It's great that you love her enough to write this for her to let her and everyone else know. I hope she has a great birthday.

Kathleen W. said...

That's so sweet! I wish I had a sister, but my prayers were never answered, despite my mom being pregnant 4 times after me.

Hope your sis enjoyed her day!