Monday, March 9, 2009

I had fun with KGB...

No, it isn't what you think. KGB (Knowledge Generation Bureau) is a company that offers directory assistance and enhanced information services. You can access their services via mobile phone or the web. It can be a lifesaver for those who don't have the money to invest in techy gadgets such as an iPhone and GPS. The services is quick too - you'll find your answer in no time at all.

Here is how it works:

Say you are about to run out of gas, but don't know where the closest gas station is... The answer is a text away. All you have to do it text kgbkbg(542542) you location and ask for the closest store. Within seconds you will get a text back with the answer. You can ask KGB anything and find the answer...try it!

I got to use the service for free for a week and I found all kinds of silly things to ask. For those of you who know about my dog dilemna a couple weeks ago - remember? I found my dogs in the backyard having $ex? Well, I was freaking out about it because I didn't think she was supposed to be in heat yet. So, I decided to text KGB the following question: How long do bitches stay in heat? In less than 1 minute I got the following reply: Generally a dog stays in heat for 5 - 9 days but some may be in heat for 10 - 14 days.

What other questions did I ask? Well @ResourcefulMom was twittering about potty training her son and the problems she was having. So I decided to see what KGB had to say about it and I texted: When should I begin potty training my son? KGB's reply: Some boys have the necessary physical and congnitive skills between 18 and 24 months of age. I immediately tweeted the answer...

The only part about KGB I didn't like was when I asked: Who has the best mom blog? I think KGB got a little confused, because instead of replying: Mom of 2 Boys, Wife of 1 they said One of the most popular blogs dealing with motherhood is: anndouglas.typepad.com/themotherofallblogs. I guess you can't expect it to get it right all the time! :o)

To learn more about KGB please check out http://kgb.com/. The current charge per text is 99 cents, but that does not include charges from your cellular carrier. For more information visit their site and read some of the interesting questions being asked right now!

1 comment:

Tamara said...

Hey that sounds pretty cool. Probably much faster than my stupidphone (palm treo)with verizon trying to get on the internet.

And you got your answer to the dog question. Are they going to help you with the puppies ;o)?