Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Review: Start Helping Our Planet - Calypso Totes

Just because Earth Day has passed, doesn't mean we shouldn't continue to be aware of our environment. Calypso Studios has recently released a new line of totes - S.H.O.P (Start Helping Our Planet) Totes. I was given the opportunity by Mom Fuse to review one and I was impressed. The totes come in tons of design choices, by several different artists that are fun and fashionalbe. They can hold up to 20 lbs. and are made out of polyester. A great feature is that they are huge (17" x 19") and sturdy, but they fold up and snap into a compact, self-contained case - you don't have to look like a bag lady (Bonus!).
I stopped using the grocery store plastic and paper bags this year. Every time I shop I bring in my own totes. Why? Because each year Americans throw away 100 BILLION bags that clog up our landfills and waterways, as well as litter our streets. That is a lot of bags!
Seriously, using my own totes I don't have to worry about bags ripping and groceries flying everywhere either. The S.H.O.P. Totes handles are plenty big enough to carry over your shoulder too, making carrying so much easier than trying to get your arm through a little opening of a plastic shopping bag.
I could probably list a million reasons why using your own tote is so much easier and Earth friendlier than using the bags from the store. Calypso Studios even has a Green Mission Statement and their site lists some pretty motivating facts about reusable totes.
Here are two things I found interesting:
  • According to the EPA, over 380 billion in the US each year, that's more than 1,200 per resident and about 12 million barrels of oil to make that many bags.
  • Each reusable bag you use has the potential to eliminate an average of 1,000 plastic bags over its lifetime. The bag will pay for itself if your grocery store offers a $.05 or $.10 credit per bag for bringing your own bags.

Print: "Breeze" by Tina Higgins

Want to know the most incredible thing about these totes? The price! I expected them to be about $15 since they are made so well and are so fashionable, but they are three (3) totes + carrying case for $20! That is amazing!


I think it is important to tell you that I could not find any drawbacks with these totes. I used mine a few times already and tested it this weekend carrying 2-2 liters of soda, 2 large liquid creamers, and a half gallon of juice. It all fit and I had no problems.

Disclaimer: I was also sent the key chain pictured above from their clay beads line. I just wanted to say that I love it! Please check out their jewelry line while you are on their site.

4 comments:

Tamara said...

These totes look really cute. I will bookmark the site. Great for a gift. I love using cloth grocery bags.
 
I once had a plastic bag stuck and melting on the muffler of my car and it smelled like burning plastic for 3 months.

hondaray6 said...

Great looking bags..and thanks for testing them out! I've given up plastic too and have a lot of totes but they are mostly Hannaford/Shaws grocery totes so I end up doing free advertising for them! I'd like some prettier ones!

Mrs Cox said...

What a pretty tote! I love it!

Laineyspawtique said...

I thought i was following you already !!!! DUH!!!  I was trying to check up on the puppies and couldnt find your link....its been a llloooooong month!  so here I am :O)  Lainey & her Mommy Judy