Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Kids & Summer Sports: What Is Your Sport of Choice?


As many of you know from an earlier post I decided to put my children into karate for the summer. Although my 16 year old is excelling and loving it (he has two stripes on his belt already), my youngest just isn't into it. So now what? I looked around the web to find an alternative sport and came across ResponsibleSports.com - have you seen this site? There is a section about responsible sport parenting that was helpful in getting my mindset right to tackle the sport issue again with my 5 year old. Check it out if you can...

As a parent I think it is our responsibility to encourage and reinforce the positive aspects of youth sports. I thought karate would be great for James, but maybe I am wrong. I think however, it is my responsibility to encourage him to try. I think he wants to do it, but I think he is being shy or maybe he is afraid to fail? Either way only time will tell. He is excited about his big brother's accomplishments and he loves watching the other kids play. I need to be patient because that is my job as a parent. I'm not having to pay for classes since he doesn't actually go in the room, so the only thing I'm out is my time.

James, my "spirited" child needs to have an activity that will keep him engaged and busy. I was thinking soccer, baseball, football, or swimming (but we have no access to swimming). If he decides that karate isn't for him I want to be able to give him other ideas.

What sports do your children participate in? I would really love to hear what works for you.

Disclosure: This post is part of a campaign sponsored by Twittermoms and ResponsibleSports.com

No comments: