Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Long Day...


Last night I started getting a terrible headache and my shoulder and arm were sore. It felt like I had been lifting weights (but the heaviest thing I've lifted is my coffee cup). Anyway, I just didn't feel good - and I had a small fever so I went to bed at 10:30 (2 hours earlier than usual).

I woke up this morning and my arm felt a bit better, but my headache was still bothering me. About an hour after being up I realized my neck was bother me as well. Day #2 and I just didn't feel good. As the day progressed my husband decided to make a doctors appointment for me.

Did I mention that I hate going to the doctor? I hate anything that has to do with medicine. I'm the type of person that will suffer through a headache (which happens frequently, unfortunately) instead of taking an ibuprofen. Lucky for me I don't get sick. It is very rare for me to even get a cold. I can only think of two times I was sick in the last 9 years - both times were pneumonia (probably because I put off going to the doctor).

As a mom I am always the one who has to take care of everyone - I just don't have time to be sick. I'm sure a lot of women can relate to this. I think the power of positive thinking helps a lot. I try not to dwell on getting sick, therefore I don't get sick.

Anyway, today I went to the doctor and she about fell over when she felt my shoulder. Apparently my muscles in my neck and shoulders were so tight it made her tense. She asked if I had ever had any trauma to my back or neck or had ever been in a car accident. Nope, I have never even broken a bone, no surgery, nothing - ever. So, she goes on with the check up and finds I have an ear infection (didn't even know it). She also found drainage from allergies. She did a trace EKG to rule out the pain in my arm yesterday as heart related - clear. Diagnosis? She thinks I may have some degenerative bone loss (or some thing like that) going on in my neck/spine. Now I have to go have X-rays of my spine and neck. For now I'm supposed to pop Amoxicillin twice a day for my ear infection, Loratadine for my allergies, and Flexeril twice a day for my muscle spasms. I'm not supposed to apply heat to my neck and shoulders, not lift anything, and take it easy. My husband is a massage therapist and I'm supposed to get massages (LOL - not going to happen) to help with the tightness.

Now I remember why I'm not too fond of going to the doctor. I hate taking medicine. I hate having restrictions. I hate feeling helpless. So, I'll take the medicine as best as I can (which probably won't me too often) and until someone sends me a maid and babysitter I will continue to lift, clean, vacuum, cook, etc.

How do you handle restrictions due to illness when you are a mom?

No comments: