Thursday, February 25, 2010

@lisasamples Thursday Thoughts: Mamavation (Week 5)


I lost weight last week. I also busted my butt. Katie did too. We rocked it...

How is any of this possible? Well, without our sponsors, sistahood, family/friends, and Leah it would nearly be impossible. #Mamavation works, because together we make it work. Our sponsors such as Earth Footwear, EA Sports Active, Smooth Fitness, Gruve, Gaiam, Tracey Mallet, Pete Cohen, Dr. Renna, and others give us the tools to be successful as the Mamavation Moms. The Sistahood keep us motivated and accountable. Our family and friends (especially our FIT Friends like Erin from The Mom Buzz) give us support. Leah coordinates it all to make it happen. Without any one part of this formula I'm not sure how successful I would have been over the past 5 weeks. Thank you.

Here is a confession:

A couple weeks ago there was a time or two where I thought of quitting. The thoughts usually came when I was over tired, when I didn't feel like working out or doing another 10 minutes of fitness, or when I was really craving a french fry or toasted bagel dripping with butter. When those feelings came I was able to put myself in 'check' quickly because I realized my brain was trying to take the easy way out. It's easier to lay on the couch and eat bon-bons than it is to change your lifestyle. But the long term consequence of that behavior is suicidal.

I'm 43 years old. I have been obese for the past 16 years. If I stay this way I probably wouldn't have another 16 years to live. Is that worth a french fry to me? I think not. I want to live another 40+ years. I want to enjoy my children and my grandchildren. I don't want to be dependent on blood pressure medication and medication for my cholesterol and future inevitable diabetes medication. I choose life over death.

This is the body that lives underneath what I see in the mirror:

8th or 9th Grade (1980)

High School Graduation (1985)

I'm going to find her again and I owe a lot of that to you. I love you, thank you for helping me live.

No comments: