Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Poker Strategies 101


My husband is an online poker fan.  He loves playing at sites like iGame Fast Poker and he often wins quite a bit.  I asked him to share his strategies with my readers.  Here is what he had to say:

What I like the most about playing online poker is bluffing. I put a lot of thought into how to trick people out of their stack (money). When I sit down at a table I like to set people up by continuously getting caught bluffing and calling with marginal hands. The more I do this, the more I get people involved and willing to play pots with me. As my table image becomes increasingly loose people are much more willing to call my bets and forget that eventually I will have a better hand and get back everything I lost.

I also put a lot of thought into my betting patterns. I want to confuse my opponents as much as possible. Sometimes I will make over-sized bets when I have "the nuts" (best hand) and sometimes I may only bet a portion of the pot. As my stack grows I will tighten up a bit and only raise pre-flop with premium hands. After people start thinking they have me figured out I will start raising with pocket pairs and connectors. When they hit I usually win big because everyone is convinced they know what hands I raise with. I may min bet the flop, river, and turn when I don't have it just to be called later when I do.  I don't like to just call when I'm on the draw either. I seem to win bigger when I re-raise indicating I have the best hand right then and want to get them out of the pot when all I want to do is make them feel more invested in the pot, confident in their hand, and overlook the flush or straight.
Now that he shared his secrets on his poker strategy, go give them a try and let me know how it works for you.

This featured post is compliments of iGame.

No comments: